Now hiring: General Manager position
View or download the job details below.
Region: Metro Toronto Area
The Amadeus Choir, under the artistic direction of Lydia Adams, was founded in 1975. The Choir, one of Canada’s pre-eminent choral groups, is known for its professionalism, exceptional musicality, and diverse, high-quality programming. As well as presenting an annual self-produced concert series in Toronto, the Amadeus Choir is pleased to regularly collaborate and perform with exceptional organizations such at the Elmer Iseler Singers, the Bach Children’s Chorus and the Toronto Symphony Orchestra.
The Amadeus Choir is under the artistic direction of Lydia Adams. The Choir has become known for its professionalism, exceptional musicality, and diverse, high-quality programming – all a reflection of the leadership provided by Ms. Adams. During her time as Conductor and Artistic Director (since 1984), the choir has grown significantly in size and reputation to become one of Canada’s pre-eminent choral groups. Founded in 1975, the Amadeus Choir performs a regular series of concerts at carefully selected downtown Toronto venues, presenting well-known artists in works by Canadian and international composers, including major works with instrumental ensembles or full orchestra, as well as challenging a cappella performances. In 1987, Lydia Adams created the Amadeus Choir’s Seasonal Song-Writing Competition which presents an opportunity to compose a song of up to 5 minutes duration to celebrate the Winter Solstice, Christmas or Chanukah. The competition has grown over the years to include submissions from around the world. It now serves as an inspiration to composers of all ages and experience to write new works, enriching Canada’s outstanding choral tradition.
The Amadeus Choir of Greater Toronto seeks a self-starting, highly organized individual to lead the choir’s administration as General Manager. Reporting to the President of the Board of Directors, the successful candidate will oversee the day-to-day operational aspects of the choir, including but not limited to: creating and overseeing development and marketing initiatives (fundraising, corporate sponsorship, customer service, publicity and promotions), creating contracts with artists and their agents, contracting performance venues, and dealing with granting bodies at all levels of government.
- Field phone calls and answer enquiries.
- Weekly dissemination of announcements to choir members via Mail Chimp.
- Manage ticketing processes and orders.
- Liaise with Artistic Director to determine requirements for the year’s concert programmes for concert venues, guest artists, and musical equipment rentals.
- Coordinate with Choir Librarian for music requirements and purchases.
- Oversee contracts for choir’s rehearsal and performance venues.
- Contract guest artists and the choir’s accompanist and section leads.
- Seek and contract guest appearances and collaborations with other organizations.
- Work with designers and printers to create programs for each concert.
- Liaise with Front of House Manager and attend all concerts and choir events.
- Coordinate auditions.
- Work with Business Manager and Treasurer to establish, track, and report on annual budget.
- Contract grant writers when necessary and assist in applying for government grants.
- Create and maintain rehearsal and concert schedule.
- Create and maintain administrative calendar containing all the critical project due dates.
- Attend Board Meetings.
- Establish and maintain filing and archival systems.
- Post-secondary education or equivalent in experience.
- Ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Outstanding budgetary management skills.
- Ability to understand, create, and negotiate contracts.
- Ability to manage multiple volunteers and several committees.
- Ability to manage a variety of tasks and multiple deadlines.
- Strategic planner and creative thinker.
- Experience in fundraising.
- Knowledge of classical and especially choral music an asset.
- Familiarity with SUMAC system a definite advantage.
HOW TO APPLY
Interested parties are invited to submit their resume and cover letter via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than March 27, 2017.
Only applications received by Monday, March 27, 2017 will be considered. The Amadeus Choir of Greater Toronto thanks all applicants, however, only those considered for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls or agencies please.
The Amadeus Choir is committed to providing accommodations for people with disabilities in all parts of the hiring process. If you require an accommodation, please let us know and we will work with you to meet your needs.